Flash without Apple

Full flash will be coming to smartphones over the next year... except the iPhone.

The one big thing that holds back the me pre from becoming a full laptop replacement for the road is the lack of flash. It means that most of the more intensive websites simply do not work. No facebook, no online banking, no google homepage, no youtube (though most phones have an app for it) and none of the myriad other flash sites.

Adobe has promised to fix it, with a new version of flash which is scheduled to hit later this year. It will cover WinMo, WebOS, Blackberry OS, Symbian, and Android - everything except for the iPhone.

Why no iPhone?

Because Apple does not want it. Flash would let other applications run at the same time as the one you currently have open (the horror!!). It would also possibly open up the market for flash based apps as opposed to pay-for-them-and-apple-gets-a-cut apps. Finally, it is because apple supports HTML 5.0 which will allow many of the same things as flash while using plain 'ol html.

How does this make me feel? Damn good. Considering I pay $63 a month for unlimited voice/data/texting, or about 1/2 of the iPhone crowd while I will be rocking out with full flash support and a fully functional all-of-the-web-included computer in my pocket.

Smartphones are sweet. This was the last big piece needed to make them fully functional. I have already found myself using my laptop less and less at home, this will just take it one step further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....