Apple comes out with something I like... and actually want...

Usually, I have this to say about Apple "their products look great, but they are ridiculously overpriced." Then, if you pushed me, I would say that their arrogant snobbishness really gets to me. The iPhone is a great phone, but the price you pay? Absolutely ridiculous (however - I will grant that until just as good or better alternatives came along such as the Pre and the latest Android phones, the price was a little more justifiable as the only game in town.) My bigger problem with that phone and most things Apple is that you are forced to play by their rules and in their ecosystem. Fine, if you want all Apple and you want to be nickled and dimed for everything that should be free.

What gets to me most though were the desktops and laptops. They are now just IBM x86 machines with a different OS. Thats it. They come all in white, or aluminum, and they come with some nice software. Which is a good thing, because only about 10% of all software is actually available on a Mac. Yes, their designs were great, but only because Apple owners compare themselves against the guy who just bought a $500 Dell laptop. If I bought a Porsche instead of a Toyota Camry I would be damn sure it looked better. Speaking of which, when is Porsche or Apple going to actually update their design? Both are classics, sure, but we've seen it before.

But now.... they made something I want. A mouse. More specifically, a mouse with a name so cheesy they might as well described it as "gouda" in the press release: the Magic Mouse.

Why magic, and why does Norm want? Well, specifically, this mouse has one "button" but then the functions of the other button and the scroll wheel replaced by a touch sensitive area on the top of the mouse. Its a brilliant design, I have no problem admitting. As soon as I read it, it made perfect sense. Multitouch gestures, the benefits of a touch screen, but all on the mouse. A little while ago I wrote about mouse vs. touch screen and why touch is tricky on laptops and larger. This solves all of that by combining the best of the two input methods. I love it, and I want one (assuming it works the way it should.)

Breaking News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....