Norm's NH Adventure

Just concluded, Norm's NH adventure involved envelopes of cash, cops, exciting driving with no brakes, a Porsche and Walmart.

Basically, I had a guy who really wanted the S4, and offered me $6,300 for it, which is a fair price. He was up in northern NH, so I said I would meet him in Campton. Colleen and I drove the s4 up, no problems, got some dinner, went and picked up the expy, and drove both cars back to the strip mall just off the highway where I was meeting the guy. He shows up with his Mom, nice guy, test drives the car, everything is good, hands over an stuffed envelop full of cash (seemingly the credit union in almost-Canada ran out of $100's, as most of the bills are $50s and $20s...) we sign all the necessary documentation and the car is his. Then to check one thing we pop the hood and see a disconnected line, and realize that one of the turbo exhaust lines snapped off, probably when that jackass kid was driving it hard. I am going to hunt him down for some of the $. So, deal still goes through. Colleen and I jump in the expy, fill 'er up with the engine running (had to jump it), then notice we are leaking, kinda slowly, power steering fluid. Pick up some extra fluid, and head for the highway.

Right before I get on 93, I lose the brakes. Completely. I got nothing. Turn it around, get it back into the gas station, see brake fluid coming out over the front right tire. Buy some more brake fluid, then pour it in. Within a couple minutes all of it is on the ground (dont tell the EPA). The brake line for that tire is totally rusted out (its metal, are they usually metal?), and thus there is air in the line, and thus the brake dont work. Decide the best course of action is to drive it to the NH house, wait overnight and see if we can patch it/probably take it in in the morning. A long slow drive ensues with much use of the e-brake and 1st gear. Later, we swing down to Walmart in the Porsche 944 turbo S, which is amusing in itself. We were both surprised by how much the "hatchback" holds.

The next morning both local shops say they couldn't look at it that day, and it would probably take a while to fix. So, we decided to load up the Porsche and drive both cars to the shop. I drive the expy down, getting down the crazy steep hill to the stop sign was the most exciting part, which was done using the e-brake and 1st gear. Everything goes smoothly, other than a couple times it almost didn't, and then we get the car in.

Loaded up, we drive south. 1/2 way home we get pulled over in a speed trap with the entire pack of cars around us. Supposedly he got me with laser, though I would be very surprised about that, as I was in a pack of cars. For doing "82mph" on a clear sunny day on a mostly empty highway the total bill is $260, and one jackass state trooper.

Finally, made it home with the Porsche to find that my driveway and road were being torn up for roadworks, and we would not have a parking place for the next two weeks.

Good times.

Norm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....