Windows Vista

Ended up with a new work laptop. First time (and likely short lived, as it will be upgraded to 7 in the fall) that I have used Windows Vista.

And I like it. Quite a lot. I had read that most of the negative press was undeserved, especially after some updates and new drivers came out. There is really nothing wrong with it at all, I quite like it.

I find it amusing that some of the most noticeable upgrades are to include a more Google desktop type search (which I already used all the time, and have installed Google Desktop on this anyway - as its still better), and a folder navigation system which identical to... Linux. Personally, this is why I think the quadruple threat of Linux, Google, Apple and Firefox is so import: someone has to keep the giant on its toes.

The thing is, I still think Windows is a better OS than anything else out there (I wont even get into the closed ecosystem Mac OSX and Apple - anything that costs 2x as much for the same hardware and weaker software is not for me). So while I am looking forward to Win7, I dont mind the chance to get used to some of the new look and feel first with Vista.

Last note: on the look and feel, I am running Vista on a crappy laptop which cost $350, has 3gigs of ram and a decent dual core processor, but integrated graphics. I have all the "Aero" effects and everything else turned on, and it runs just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....