Great Phone, Wrong Time: the Nokia 6800

My first cellphone was a Nokia 6800. I liked it because it was a solid phone, about the size of other phones at the time, it had a nice color screen, and above all because it had a qwerty keyboard.

It actually did not sell that well, because at the time, the keyboard on a "dumbphone" (I think blackberrys were the only "smart" phones at that point anyway) was not generally deemed to be necessary. Fast forward five years, and my Samsung Alias has become incredibly popular, along with tons of other dumbphones with qwerty keyboards. When teenagers started getting blackberrys just so they could text, cellphone makers were quick to respond.

That said, I still think the Nokia did it better. Unlike the Alias or new Alias 2, the keyboard was larger and easier to use.
http://1800hart.com/picks/wp-content/8248.jpg

On top of that, the call quality was very strong (cellphones have different radio capacities - I have never understood why this was not a stated statistic of the phone - for example, I would buy a larger bulkier phone if I knew that it got better reception - but it is never talked about). One of the best things about the phone was also the battery - it would last 3-4 days of normal use, and a week on standby.

So while I thoroughly like my current Samsung - particularly because it has most of the same benefits, but is 1/2 the size of the Nokia - I just wanted to point out a great phone that was just a little bit before its time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is just disgusting....

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving