Fiction Ultra Short - The Good Earth

Once, when I was a kid, I made a shelter for myself by digging a big hole in the ground and then resting the logs from an old fence we had broken down on rocks across the top. On top of the logs, I put a layer of leaves and pine needles to create an even layer and for insulation. On top of that I put earth and then a layer of moss I collected from the forest. I loved it in there. Sadly, there was no round door, nor fireplace, nor storeroom full of wine and cakes, but I would bring down some food and a good book and call it home. Even in the dark of winter, I could crawl into that shelter and feel protected by the good earth that surrounded me.

I had an old lunch-box filled with Victoria's Secrets and a Playboy I had stolen from my father's bedroom. I kept them wrapped in a plastic Shoprite bag inside the yellow transformers box to keep them warm, but over time their pages wrinkled and corrugated. When my Father and Step-Mom would fight, when the dogs hid in the corner and the house smelled of cold dinner and Jeopardy played in the background, I would hide out in that warm dark earthen sanctum. With time, the moss took hold and grew into the earth while the leaves turned to mulch and provided nutrients. As I grew and the spring melts and summer rains eroded the earthen walls and eventually it became a soft bed of moss on which to lie an look up at the sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....