The is Awesome: Man Builds Norman Hobbit Hole

I want this house. I mean, by rights, as I am partly Hobbit, it should probably belong to me anyway.

Clearly, while he says he only put $5,000 into the house, there is obviously 1) the land and 2) a whole lot of labor of love going into this thing. Still though, while I am not sold on the idea that living in the side of a hill and drinking mountain stream water while raising sheep is the way to solve all of modern humanity's ills (I am relatively confident that is actually what most of humanity has left behind at this point...), I still think this is an amazing house, and would love to have one similar.


One home to rule them all

Step inside (watch your head) a Hobbit-esque 'Low-Impact Woodland Home' built in Wales for less than $5,000.

Thu, May 28 2009 at 5:50 PM EST
 6

I’m not a Tolkien disciple but I did enjoy Peter Jackson’s "Lord of the Rings" films. One small, Middle Earth-related gripe, though: I could have done with fewer clamorous, protracted monster vs. good guy showdowns and more Better Homes & Gardens-esque tours of the Shire. Those charming, carved-into-the-hillside “Hobbit-holes” with the tiny round windows get my vote for best eco-friendly fantasy dwelling, hands down. Ewok treehouses come in at a close second.
 
 
Anyway, I pretty much squealed in delight when I saw this SFGate slideshow of Simon Dale’s “low-impact Woodland home” built into a hillside in Wales (natch) for less than $5,000.
 
The home was built by Dale himself (along with family and friends) with minimal tools from stone, mud, reclaimed wood, and lime plaster. Green features includesolar paneling, a composting toilet, rooftop rainwater collection, and natural insulation. Water comes from a nearby spring and skylights provide ample natural lighting. 
 
 
I recommend checking out Dale’s website where you can read in detail about his (somewhat heavy-handed) approach to a permaculture-based existence. You can also take a gander at other Hobbit-esque homes.
 
Here’s a taste of what Dale has to say:
 
This sort of life is about living in harmony with both the natural world and ourselves, doing things simply and using appropriate levels of technology. These sort of low cost, natural buildings have a place not only in their own sustainability, but also in their potential to provide affordable housing which allows people access to land and the opportunity to lead more simple, sustainable lives. For example this house was made to house our family whilst we worked in the woodland surrounding the house doing ecological woodland management and setting up a forest garden, things that would have been impossible had we had to pay a regular rent or mortgage.
 
Funny enough, throughout the entire site I can't find one mention of "Hobbit," "Tolkein," or "the Shire" amidst all the talk of permaculture, sustainability, energy consumption, and self-built homes. It's — the fact that Dale is influenced by real world issues of sustainability and not home designs of Middle Earth — pretty refreshing and I bit unexpected,  I gotta say. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....