When Jellies Attack, Part The Deux

So, and this is scary stuff I warn you, I just got back from a day trip out on the Dip (family boat), and I have to say the jellyfish bloom in the Mid-Atlantic is quite amazing and appalling. There are a few species, one small and translucent that does not sting and one up to about 8in in diameter, red, and with long nasty looking tentacles, and they are everywhere. There are, quite literally, millions of them. Far more than I have ever seen before. You sail along, and there they are, all around you, all around the boat, everywhere. Colleen and I went ashore on a small island and found a spot where about 200 of them were clumped together in a few square yards of ocean because of the tide and current. Makes me nervous just to go in the water (and I know that some beaches in Europe have already had to install jellyfish nets so that people could go swimming.)

To me, loving going in the ocean and out on the water, this is one of the most apparent and appalling symptoms of the destruction of the oceans as well as global warming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....