The New Xbox Software Sucks, As Do All Random Squares

What the hell is with the new standard in user interfaces being this shitty array of random squares and images?

Xbox just released a major new update and... it sucks. It makes the whole interface instead of a logical and clearly laid out ribbon and card view, some kind of bullshit graphic design wet dream.

The one we just lost was a major improvement over the original, and crappy sort of "blinds which randomly pop in from the side" interface... but goddamn if I don't hate this new square craps approach

Old (good) interface


New, shittacular, interface
Oh yeah... and see that up there? That is A FUCKING ADVERTISEMENT on the system you shelled out $250, and pay $50/yr just to play online games. 

And they are not the only ones. The new google marketplace? What the hell is that? It's terrible. I have no idea where I am and the whole thing sucks to read. I suppose it is good for some completely ADD moron hipster who loves random advertising images in all kinds of different sized squares popping up at them, but as far as I am concerned, it sucks.

For example, old android market


New android market
Because yes, I really want to pay $10 to read Stieg Larsson on my phone... 
All in... we have Microsoft to blame for all of this. Much as the Zune and then Windows Phone 7 have not been commercial successes, everyone in the industry came to believe that their live tile system of showing information in randomly sized cubes, with randomly sized text where you may or may not be able to read what the hell is going on, is the way of the future. This is much like when everyone realized that the card view in webOS was by far the best way to do multitasking, and everyone but Apple (multitasking is for losers who don't spend $1,500/yr on their phones) copied them.

The thing is... I hate it. I have heard that the original (Zune and now WP7) is actually very good, but I have never used it. Everything I have used like this.. I hate. They all suck. I use the Amazon app store as much as possible just to protest how crappy I think the Google market is. And on a final note, to sites which used to be blogs (you know, vertically scrolling) such as Jalopnik or Gizmodo (Gawker - go eat some poo), what the hell is with the new random articles in random sizes format? Again - ribbons, cards, scrolling - these are good things. Random ass shit flying at me in all directions? Not good.

whatthefuckasaurus



Comments

  1. I agree entirely. I hate how my TV now just looks like an extention to a phone. Microsoft should bring back the old interface which was much better visually, but also just plain easier to navigate. I want it to have a sophisticated gamer look like it used to be. Oh and the avitars are so frigging lame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....