Netbooks - Why?

So netbooks are all the rage. Starting with the EEE PC from Asus, the market has exploded over the last year, with basically everyone and their Mom releasing a netbook. Generally about $300-600, with a 7-10 inch screen, they look like a laptop that you put through the dryer one too many times. And that is basically how they perform as well, many shipping with Linux or an Win XP option, they can handle firefox and that is about it.

I dont think, for me, this is the right mix. I like having a full featured, full-powered laptop that can do anything and everything I want it to. And for going to work, going on a business trip, etc. it is not that big a deal to carry around a laptop bag. Then there is the "I just need to use the internet/write a few emails" scenario, and for that, I think a full internet phone (basically the iPhone right now) or a mobile internet device (MID), such as the N770 (the first such device ever.. basically) which I have, or a slew of newer or upcoming devices including the iPod touch, the Archos Wifi line of PMP/MIDs, the newer N800/N810, a couple of devices from HTC, and a slew of Chinese offerings. Basically, the idea here is not a 2/3lb laptop, but a sub-1lb device that you can put in your pocket. My N770, now totally out of date, makes a fantastic travel companion, with the ability to use any wifi internet connection, do pop email, run some utilities and play a few basic games like soduku. Add in that it is also a full PMP (portable media player, like the iPod video etc), though it has definite drawbacks in this area, and it is great little unit to have with you.

I guess I just dont understand the beauty of a tiny laptop with a cramped keyboard and a 8inch screen. Well, actually, I dont get paying $400 for one, which is pretty close to the price of a full featured laptop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Ways to Not Suck at Driving

This is just disgusting....